After spending the last few months creating my how-to painting videos I finally got down to painting again. I decided to try using colors I had never used before and see if I could incorporate them into a landscape. I think it worked for this imaginary landscape and I am pleased with the results. I used phthalo turquoise, transparent red Iron oxide and quinacridone burnt scarlet. Then while still wet, used some cling film to create the textures in the foreground. For sale on my web site at http://thewatercolorist.net/dreamscape/
Having fun with Schmincke's tro-col bronze dry gouache powder. We had an eclipse recently and I was inspired to come up with a dramatic piece involving the moon. I remember my old art teacher, Jerry Stitt, telling us it's never a good idea to have a large orb in your painting which the eye then gravitates towards. So the way around it is to create a cloud or two across the circle which breaks it up and lets the eye circulate around the painting. I used indanthrone blue, new gamboge and perrylene maroon watercolors and sprinkled the Schmincke's dry gouache in pale gold over the wet watercolor and rocked it back and forth until I was satisfied with the pattern. I love experimenting with interesting materials to stretch the boundaries of watercolor. Schmincke has a few different colors in their tro-col-bronze dry gouaches. You can get some interesting results mixing them in with your watercolors.
I know it's not yet that time of year, but I wanted to experiment with a combination of yellows and oranges for a course I am creating on the site udemy.com on how to paint a fall landscape. I am pleased with these particular color combinations and think I will go with them. It's paradoxical that fall leaves create such a beautiful site in their dying throes. I used Daniel Smith's new gamboge, golden ochre, cadmium red mixed with new gamboge and French ultramarine mixed with burnt umber for the few darks in the leaves. For the ground area I dribbled sepia ink over the watercolors for texture.
This is a small 5"x7" test piece I did to see if the colors would work together for a larger piece. Sometimes I end up liking the test piece better than the larger watercolor. Have not attempted the larger piece yet but will soon. I used Indigo, yellow ochre and burnt umber on Fabriano cold pressed watercolor paper. The textures in the landscape were achieved using cling film. I like to create a semi-abstract section in each of my watercolors.
I'm back in the painting groove again. I was going through a bit of painting block so I decided to change tack and paint some flowers instead of the usual landscapes and seascapes. These thistles grow prolifically on the trail we use to exercise our dogs. I have taken a number of photos of them but until now have not attempted to paint them. I like to keep my flower paintings loose, leaving something to the imagination for the viewer. I did two paintings because I wasn't quite happy with the first one, and I am still not that happy with the second one. I may have a third go and if it is better will post it.
My first painting of 2015. Our house overlooks Richardson Bay and a spit of land called the Strawberry Peninsula. I've wanted to paint an atmospheric watercolor of this scene for some time. I watch the tides come in and go out daily and it makes for an interesting subject. I was trying out some new Daniel Smith colors, particularly perrylene violet ,which dominates this painting. I could have included some yachts but wanted to keep it a more quiet peaceful scene. I'm still thinking of maybe adding a few yachts though.